YC Review: Matilda The Musical


Yesterday (29th June 2014), it seemed a little amusing to me that on the day of London Pride, I was just a few miles away watching a colourful theatre musical.

My twin sister and I went to see the matinée performance of Matilda The Musical at Cambridge Theatre, with (correct me if I'm wrong) Lollie McKenzie starring at the title character, and I was even more impressed than I expected to be. I do love a good theatre show, and I'm reasonably new to them. I've only seen (in the West End) The Lion King, Avenue Q, and Wicked.

Based on the book, Matilda is about a young girl in a cruel family and a school with a wicked headmistress who finds solitude in books, and changes her destiny in her life by standing up to what's right. The theatre show with music from Tim Michin perfectly encapsulates the zaniness of the story, and the heart.

The cast is incredible, standouts include McKenzie mentioned earlier, and all the kids are brilliant, and at such a young age. Alex Gaumond is a perfect Miss Trunchball, and Kay Murphy transforms into a hilarious Mrs Wormwood. In fact, there's no one who lets the immense team down. Also must mention, some of the adults who play the older students were dishes too (Joseph Devenport?).

The music is wonderful and memorable. Standouts include the opening 'Miracle' and 'School Song' which has a wonderful alphabet sequence with brilliant choreography, and then there's the beautiful 'quiet' and a great end of 'revolting children'. Kudos to the great performances on those, and the soundtrack is definitely on my purchase list.

To sum up, it's truly spectacular. The great set dressing, the cast, the music, the direction. I am trying to think of a flaw.

I am going to give this 9 yellow chocolate slabs, and it very much deserves them all. Eat Up Bogtrotter.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Grey's Anatomy Challenge: Favourite Place in the hospital - Day 18

30 Day Grey's Anatomy Challenge: Favourite Season Finale - Day 24